Thermablok® Case Studies
Thermablok® Aerogel Insulates Wood Framing, Increasing Energy Efficiency by 15%
Economical method to eliminate thermal bridging in framing members
- Homeowners renovating a nearly 3– year old house wanted to increase the energy efficiency at an economical price.
- With their construction and real estate experience, the owners understood that to improve the home’s energy efficiency they would have to address heat loss through the frame.
- Due to old construction techniques and materials, framing density varied throughout the house and in some cases was quite high.
- The homeowners selected Thermablok to eliminate the thermal bridging through the frame members in the walls being renovated.
- This greatly increased the overall thermal efficiency of those walls.
- Thermablok can be installed on the interior or exterior of the framing member, depending on the construction or renovation details.
- In this application, the contractor opted to install the Thermablok to the inside fo the framing members.
- The R-value of the walls containing Thermablok improved to R 13.9, a 15% improvement.
- In addition to greatly increasing the thermal efficiency of the house while meeting the homeowners’ budget requirements.